Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Plying Candy Colours



So I managed to spin up and ply my first 1/4 lb. (113grams) of soft, squishy merino dyed in Ciba Washfast Dyes. Here it is! Don't you just love the colours? I wasn't sure I'd like the plying results, but once I started knitting the swatch, I was quite happy with the beautiful variegated stripes. So far, I'm getting about 22sts and 30rows in stocking stitch on 4mm needles for my gauge. I'm not sure what I'd like to knit with it for now, but it is pretty yummy inspiration just to have it around encouraging me to dye some more. God knows I have enough wool fibre around the house from all my online shopping binges!!!


Two days ago, I decided that I would try to dye up another 113 grams of merino before going to work, since it was the last of the one pound bag from Birkeland Bros. I had to work fast with R having a nap, and D willing to watch and help me. I presoaked my fibre, set up my work station on the back porch and went to work deciding on my dye colours which were mostly pre-mixed from my last dyeing session. I basically chose four mixtures, all with glugs of white vinegar mixed in 1)a dark blue made from equal 1% mixture of turquoise and magenta, 2)a very yellow lime green made from 1 cup yellow and about 1 tsp. of 1% turquoise 3)a darker green made from more turquoise mixed in the yellow lime green and 4)a more diluted mixture of the dark blue. Look below to see how it turned out after steam setting and drying. I see some pinks, purples, and rust colours! I just love the randomness and surprise of dyeing.

No comments: