Monday, March 15, 2010
A New Technique
So, now that I'm back at work and off maternity leave, knitting has slowed down even more. I've really enjoyed my year off with baby K and the family, without the worry of prepping for and going to work. However, I've had to accept that there's no more camping out in front of the tv, knitting, while baby naps and the boys are off at school. Now, I just sneak in a few rows here and there and late at night when the kids have all gone to bed.
Just before work started, I decided to try my hand at entrelac by knitting a hat. I chose the Greentrelac Beret pattern from Ravelry to learn the technique and I must say that it's a lot easier than it looks. In fact, it's downright addictive, especially when you have a fun yarn with long colour repeats. I've used Nashua's Wooly Stripes, currently on sale at Dressew here in Vancouver until it all sells out.
This turned out to be a snug cap for me, instead of a beret, as I cast on less than what was asked for in the pattern, but that's okay. If I were to make this cap again, I’d make the ribbing 1 inch longer and increase the CO to 72 sts or more instead of the 66 sts that I used to try for a slouchy beret. I also modified the top of the hat by continuing the entrelac tiers until I decreased to picking up 2 sts for each diamond. Anyone who's thought of trying this technique and haven't should really just jump right in, because it really isn't that difficult at all. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how simple it really is!